When faced with stress overload, which may come from dealing with unfamiliar environments with overwhelming amounts of details, having to extravert too much or in uncomfortable ways, or having their well settled plans disrupted, INFJs may find themselves “in the grip” of their inferior function, Extraverted Sensing. In this state, the individual is likely to do things that are typically completely out of character. This may include over doing it on the pleasures of the senses by binge-eating, over-exercising, buying lots of useless items, etc..
INFJs tend to withdraw from reality into a fantasy world of their own, which gradually gains importance as they become dissatisfied with their real life and the people in it. While fulfilling the demands of their outer commitments, they harbor secret criticism and the feeling that their imaginary world and the characters that inhabit it are more important than the actual people in their lives.
- discord in their relationships
- violations of their values
- excessive extraverting
- Being amongst close-minded people
- Feeling under appreciated and under-valued
- Adjusting to new environments
- disruptions to their plans
- Lack of direction and purpose
- Disharmony and conflict
- Withdraw into the inner world of images and possibilities; become quiet
- Moodiness and perfectionism
- Become very busy; focus on low priority tasks
- Become obsessively concerned with detail; feeling out of control
- Angry and critical at people and/or things
- Over focused on gratifying the senses
- Elitism; “I know everything, you know nothing”
- Overdoing sensory activities like drinking, cleaning, working out etc.
- Intense anger
Mounting stress and pressure can lead to a complete and epic unraveling of our psychological fabric that gives way to a side of ourselves that others despise. How we respond to that stress and the types of stress we are sensitive to will vary from person to person. In the Myers Briggs type theory, each personality type manifests signs of stress in ways particular to them and the sources and causes of it will differ as well. Although there are life conditions that everyone finds to be stressful, the stress responses of some types can be triggered by events and circumstances that a different type may experience as desirable and energizing.