When faced with stress overload, which may come from dealing with unfamiliar territory and uncertain futures, dealing with others who seem to work outside of the current reality, or having to overuse their type by being expected to constantly act as “the responsible one”, ISTJs may find themselves “in the grip” of their inferior function, Extraverted Intuition. During this experience, the individual is likely to do things that are typically completely out of character such as interpreting bizarre meanings and focusing on negative possibilities rather than the present reality.
As the pressure rises, they become increasingly intolerant of diversity and may start seeing other people as irresponsible and lacking appropriate standards and ethics. They try to take control of others and become stuck in limiting rules and regulations, afraid of change and taking any risks into the unknown.
- dealing with problems for which their past experience is of no use
- having to improvise
- too much extraverting
- emotionally intense situations
- disorganized environments
- tight dealines
- deviating from established methods and trying new approaches
- Being asked to do something without a plan or direction
- being in unfamiliar surroundings
- Nose to the grindstone; increased irritability
- Stubbornness; over focus on detail and organizing
- Withdrawal and increased quietness
- Feelings of loss of control or confusion
- Excessive doom saying; anticipation of only negative futures
- Unusually impulsive behavior
- General negativity
- Blaming others without a reason
- Unusual impulsivity and spontanity
Mounting stress and pressure can lead to a complete and epic unraveling of our psychological fabric that gives way to a side of ourselves that others despise. How we respond to that stress and the types of stress we are sensitive to will vary from person to person. In the Myers Briggs type theory, each personality type manifests signs of stress in ways particular to them and the sources and causes of it will differ as well. Although there are life conditions that everyone finds to be stressful, the stress responses of some types can be triggered by events and circumstances that a different type may experience as desirable and energizing.